The most recent exhibit at the Lake Odessa Museum was entitled "Here Comes The Bride." The displays featured wedding dresses and all other items associated with a wedding. It was an outstanding event due to the hard work of Lynda Cobb, Dawn Deardorff and Thelma Curtis. Many local residents brought in items to share which reflected both the past and present. Shown about is a view looking into the Freight Station and below is Betty (Peacock) Carey next to her wedding dress worn when she married Morris (Pete) Carey. The Lake Odessa Museum has new exhibits and displays throughout the year and we encourage everyone to stop by and check us out!
Monday, January 16, 2012
The January meeting of the Lake Odessa Area Historical Society featured an overview of the bars, saloons and taverns in our village's history. The first saloon was built by Charles Scheidt in 1888 and was located on the south end of Main Street approximately in the location of the present day Page Memorial Building. This saloon served the village for many years later being operated by Andrew Reahm and then James Scheidt. While James Scheidt operated the business it became the property of the Haehnle Brewing Company of Jackson, Michigan, from 1894-1904. The business later changed hands several times and was operating as late as 1908-9. Shown above is this business advertising the Haehnle Beer. Many other bars located in the village over the years and many memories and trivia were shared at this meeting. It is planned to compile this information into some format so anyone with additional information on bars and saloons is welcome to contact the society.
The annual Quilt Show will be held Saturday, January 28, from 10-5 and on Sunday January 29 from 2-5 p.m. This has been a very successful event each year and features many new and vintage quilts. Shown above is Fred Slater next to a quilt crafted by his mother Esther Slater. Come on out and join the fun...lunch will be provided on Saturday with lots of unique displays.